6/52

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Week 6 of 52
Arab Quarter
Singapore

Saturday night I met some friends for dinner in the Arab Quarter in Singapore.  I've been there many times during the day but hadn't been there at night prior to about a month ago.  Holy cow is it busy on a Friday and Saturday night!  There are loads of restaurants and people just sort of wandering in the street. 
It reminded me a bit of Bourbon Street in New Orleans...just far more tame.  (FYI - if you visit Singapore and go out for dinner in this area be warned that some of the restaurants are strict Muslim so will not have alcohol.)

As you can see from the picture above, this part of Singapore has maintained the old row houses instead of building shiny new buildings.  It really adds to the feel of this area.  The roads are pretty narrow and there are a bunch of alleys between the row houses.  The restaurants and bars just plop tables and chairs out on the sidewalks...in the alleys...and on the streets.

We ate at a delicious Lebanese restaurant...mmm...  After dinner we met with some other friends at a jazz bar...I know...how funny that there is this great jazz bar in the middle of Arab quarter...anyway...we enjoyed a nice drink while listening to some good music.
I didn't intend for this to be my destination for my 52 weeks project this week.  Thankfully I had my camera with me and got some fun pictures.  More than anything, this taught me that there is a whole part of Singapore that looks completely different after the sun sets.  I am a morning person by nature so tend to go to bed early.  I may need to get out and do some more exploring in the evening and at night!

0 comments:

Post a Comment