Age appropriate

Sunday, May 15, 2011

I have some rules when it comes to clothing and dressing.

#1 - Cover all of your bits...I do not need to see stomachs unless you are in a swimsuit and at the beach.
#2 - You should dress for the season you are in and not the one you want to be in.  For example, do not wear summer clothes in the middle of January in Michigan or do not wear long sleeves and sweaters when living in Singapore.
#3 - Unless you are in a dance recital or stage production of some sort or going to the prom or a holiday party you don't need a lot of shiny, jangly (yes, that is a word...at least in my blog world), bedazzlement on your clothing.
#4 - Just because there is empty space on a garment does not mean it needs a bow...please refer to rule #3.
#5 - If you are over 35, your skirts should at least hit the knee...unless you have Tina Turner legs but even then they shouldn't be too short.

You may be asking why on earth you are reading about my clothing rules and what it has to do with living on the other side of the world.  I went shopping yesterday...I was in the mood to spend money...I could use some new clothes...so off I went... 

I decided to go to one of the largest shopping malls in Singapore, Vivo City.  It is the type of mall that you can get lost or turned around very easily.  This place has something like 100 million stores in it.  Okay, maybe not 100 million but it felt like that many.  I went into every single store that sold women's clothing...I shopped for something like 3 hours...and I found nothing!  Okay, I found lots and lots of clothing but it was all very short and very tight and had lots of bows and glam and jangle and ugh...  It wasn't that things didn't fit...I didn't find anything that I even wanted to try on.  Can I just get an Eddie Bauer or an Ann Taylor Loft?

I think this may be only the second time I have been shopping in Singapore.  The last time was probably about 3-4 months after I moved here and I now recall why I haven't been since.  What a frustrating day!  Although, I did get a cute pair of shoes...I have very few rules for shoes...and a really cute handbag...no rules for handbags...except your man should not carry your handbag ladies...but that is a blog for another day...

0 comments:

Post a Comment