Deconstruction of a home...

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

So...I've been deconstructing my home here in Singapore for awhile now.  I started sorting through things in preparation for the move back in December.  I got into it full on about a month ago.  I left pictures on the walls until just last weekend because I always feel like a house isn't a home until there are pictures on the walls.

My last night sleeping in my apartment was on Thursday night.  I must admit...I was oddly emotional about waking up on Friday morning knowing it was my last time sleeping there.  And...I've been oddly emotional throughout the whole packing and cleaning and moving process.

For those of you who know me well...you'll know that I'm not really one to show much emotion so for this to happen over an apartment is incredibly odd. 

I guess it makes sense to feel some sort of emotion related to it...packing things up was sort of the beginning of the end here in Singapore.  I can't ignore the fact that this part of my life is coming to a close when all of my things are in boxes being sent away.  Don't get me wrong...I'm thrilled to be coming home but I am also incredibly sad to be leaving what has been my day-to-day life for the past three years.

So...#05-07 at One Oxley Rise is now sitting empty with the exception of some cleaning supplies.  I stood in it after all of my things were packed and moved and thought of some great memories...
~my first house guest...my friend Sonya and I sitting on a mattress on the floor of my living room having a beer (this was before my sea shipment arrived)
~getting settled in and unpacking all of my things to make it my Singapore home
~hanging out with AliG
~having Alan and all of my other visitors come stay with me
~laughing with friends over dinner...

The apartment served me quite well the past three years.  It was a great location and at the time I chose it didn't realize that it was only a block away from where two of my best friends now live.  Even though I don't officially hand it over until Friday I don't feel like it is mine any longer.  Is just an empty apartment now and no longer a home...especially since the last piece of my being there came down just before I walked out yesterday...

These are pictures from my nephews that hung on my wall.  They were some of the first things I'd see before I went to bed every night and when I woke up every morning.  A great reminder of home.

0 comments:

Post a Comment