Moving day

Monday, February 20, 2012

I spent the day sitting in my apartment today watching a crew pack up all of my belongings in preparation of the shipment back to the US. 

I actually am only taking about half of what I brought over here home with me.  Furniture here in Singapore is insanely expensive so some of my close friends have benefited from the fact that all of the stuff I had here was duplicate and not needed at home.  It would have likely been donated to charity at home so am thrilled that my friends will get to use.  Although...I must admit it was a bit odd when I went over to their place for dinner last night and saw lots of my former things in use...

The moving crew arrived at my place this morning about 9:30 am and began packing almost immediately.  They didn't finish packing until around 2:00 pm...I clearly have way too much crap!  Although, they were quite careful and wrapped every single piece of furniture very nicely to protect it from getting bumped or dinged during the shipment.  And...to be fair...the move over here was a lot easier and faster because most of what came was brand new and in the original packaging so there was no need to re-pack it for the shipment.

Some of my things will be sent via air shipment and will hopefully arrive in Durham in about 10-14 days.  These are mostly my clothing and some pictures and other personal items.  You have a strict limit on the weight allowance in the air shipment so most of my items are going by sea.
The items going by sea will be loaded into a container and put on a ship headed for the US.  It will likely clear customs in Norfolk, VA and then come to Durham by way of truck.  I'm told it will take about 6-8 weeks for the sea shipment to arrive.

I'm always a little uneasy watching lots of my belongings drive off.  These companies move people around the world all of the time so am sure things will be fine but will be happy when I see it all on the other end.

So...now I just have to clean up my apartment, get the curtains back from the cleaners re-hung, and hand over the keys to the landlord. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment