Yellow says hello

Saturday, April 10, 2010

T.S. Eliot once wrote "The yellow fog that rubs its back upon the windowpanes."

I believe that the NC pine trees took this quote a bit too seriously:


This past week we have literally been driving, walking, and generally avoiding being outside due to the giant yellow haze that has descended upon us.  It happens to us every year.  The Longleaf and Loblolly pine trees are to blame.  They are everywhere in NC and they are green yearround and pretty.  We observe them and appreciate them and they return our adoration by raining yellow pine pollen dust down upon us for about two weeks each Spring. 

The quickest way to rid ourselves of it is a few nicely timed thunderstorms.  We had some rain on Thursday night which washed a good bit of it away.  We now need one more good rain event early in the week and I think we'll be able to say so long to pollen.

Our household is not allergic to the pollen.  However, because of the large quantities of it, if we are out in the yard mowing or sweeping it can make your eyes water and you'll inevitably end sneezing a few times.

I know that it is hard to see the yellow in the picture above but that is my silver car with a one day coating of pine pollen on it.  There is no use washing it until the pollen stops dropping...it will just keep getting covered.



For those of you that live up north, while I know it has turned cold again, be thankful you do not have to deal with the pollen.  For me, I am ready to say phir melenge (goodbye in Hindi) to the pollen.

1 comments:

donnaeileen April 11, 2010 at 7:07 AM  

HEY, Kate and Alan;
long time no read your blogs, my computer had a serious virus and it took several trips to get things straightened out --- if I had to do it over, I would have just bought a new one.
Anyhoo, MUCH was lost. Doug sent me your blog address again so I could get caught back up. :>)
And for your comment about the pollen, we do have that season especially at the lakehouse, it will start in a coupla weeks and we too will be covered by the yellow snow(that's what we call it) and we too can't breathe.
It appears that you have been home for some time now. When do you return?
just catching up,
love Aunt Donna

Post a Comment