Happy B-day Buddha!

Friday, May 28, 2010

Today is Vesak Day in Singapore and many Southeast Asian countries.  It is the day Buddhists celebrate the birth of Buddha.  As Alan said when I was telling him about it...it is the equivalent to Christmas for Christians...without the presents...but with the public holiday...yipee for me!

As an aside, looking back on last year, I don't think I was actually in Singapore to celebrate any of the public holidays.  I was traveling so much I missed them.  To be truthful, half of the time I wasn't even aware that there was a public holiday.

Anyway, we headed up to a Buddhist temple today to see how Vesak Day was celebrated.  There were oodles more people in the temple and the cloud of smoke from the incense burning was amazing.  Otherwise, it looked like any other day at the temple.  I wonder if this is what Buddhists would think of Christmas if they were to go to church?

Even though it wasn't a big festival type holiday, it is still really interesting for me to be here and experience it.  I had never heard of Vesak Day before living here and I probably would never have given it a second thought. 

So...happy birthday Buddha!  I hope it was a great one and wish you many more.

0 comments:

Post a Comment