Big and little things

Saturday, June 5, 2010

I can't believe it has been a week since I last blogged.  The time during the week just seems to fly by.  I guess that is a good thing versus the alternative...

Today we went for a really nice walk out at Changi Village.  It is one of the oldest areas of Singapore and is on the edge of the ocean on one side and Changi Airport on the other.  It is a relatively quiet area compared with most of the rest of Singapore.  The park where the walking path is located is quite large and is really nice.  I love walking along the water and watching the large container ships moving around in the water.  Even better though, is that the walking path is directly under a busy landing path for Changi Airport. 

I could stand and watch airplanes take-off and land all day long.  Even in the midst of the craziness of my travel schedule last year I still loved to watch airplanes.  I have no idea why but it is one of those things that can shut me up mid-sentence or stop me in my tracks.  Today we were standing on the walking path with 737s and A320s flying right over top of us just before landing.  There is something about the sound of jet engines and seeing the underbelly of an airplane right above you that is just awesome.  Especially when it is a 747 just before you leave...wow!

This evening I took Alan to one of my favorite restaurants in Singapore.  Din Tai Fung is a Taiwanese restaurant that serves amazing dumplings.  They are tiny little things but man are they tiny little things full of yummy goodness.  We opted for pork/shrimp and shrimp/crab dumplings and they did not disappoint.  A great thing about this place is that the kitchen is open for viewing so you can watch them prepping all of the food.  Tonight there were five men making the dumplings...yep...five...each doing their prescribed part to make sure they met the high standards of Din Tai Fung.  If you ever come to visit Singapore I'll take you there for dinner.  And...if you can eat 50 in one sitting I'll crown you dumpling king or queen of Singapore!

0 comments:

Post a Comment